Sunday, June 5, 2011

I'm a Criminal

Today, Ryan and I went to Pak 'n Save - New Zealand's version of Costco - to buy some beer. While we were using the self-checkout, a security guard came up to us and held up a picture of us from a few days earlier. "Is this you?" he said, pointing to a picture of me standing next to Ryan with a circle around my face and some notes in the margin.

"I think so," I said, sure that someone who resembled me had held up the store days earlier. He asked us to come with him and led us to a back room where he showed us a video of days earlier when I had purchased beer in the self-checkout. I scan the beer, wait around for a while to be carded, show my passport to an agent, start talking to Ryan, then pick up the beer and walk away - without paying for it. This is the first time I have ever stolen anything in my life and I had no idea I had even done it. And I got caught.

Next to my picture in the security room at Pak 'n Save it said "Shoplifting - no malice intended." I apologized profusely and paid for the beer from a few days ago and they sent us on our way. Lucky for them the security guard recognized us because we're moving on tomorrow to re-start our vacation and take a few days off WWOOFing.

No comments:

Post a Comment