Sunday, January 9, 2011

Healesville

Yesterday, Andrew, the winemaker at Rochford where I'm working, came and picked me up from the hostel and brought me out to the Yarra Valley to give me a tour of the winery. The cellar part of the winery is much smaller than J or possibly any winery I have ever been in before, but the tasting room/restaurant/music venue part is massive - it hosts a ton of bachelorette parties (or Hen's Days as they call them here) and concerts and is where a lot of the revenue for the winery comes from. Then Syd, the part-timer who works with us two days a week when he isn't working on his own label (Thick as Theives) had me follow his car with a winery truck to my new home.

Driving on the wrong side of the road is SCARY, especially when you are driving stick in an old truck that is meant for hauling god-knows-what and has a giant metal bed attached to it. It also doesn't help if you leave the parking brake on while you're driving (as I did) because you can't figure out where it is (under the steering wheel).

I am renting a room from Kate, a woman in her early 30s who has a gorgeous old house with a massive garden and a dog named Noodle. She also has a 13 month old daughter named Olive (coincidentally, one of my favorite names). She seems really nice and Olive is adorable - minus her screeching phase that will hopefully end soon. Unfortunately, I'm so off the beaten track at Kate's that we don't have internet, so I'm using a work computer right now and will be pretty unreachable.

No comments:

Post a Comment